If you are trying to establish a website for your business and want to get the most out of it, a .com.au domain can help. A .com.au domain is perfect for any Australian business, no matter the size or industry. With millions of registered domains in Australia alone, it's clear that people love their local extension!
What is a .com.au domain
A domain name is a website address. It can be used for anything from personal blogs to business websites and even email addresses.
A domain name is a unique identifier for an internet site. It's like your phone number for the Internet!
You may have heard of .com, .org and .net extensions as well as country-specific ones like .au or .nz - these are all types of domain names (or extensions). What makes them different is where they're registered: if you register your website at GoDaddy with a ".com" extension then it will be hosted on servers located in the United States; if you choose instead to use an Australian-focused provider such as Registry Australia then your site will still be hosted on servers around the world but within Australia itself.
Benefits of having a .com.au domain
There are many benefits of choosing a .com.au domain over other extensions. Here are the main ones:
- Similar to .com domains, .com.au domains can look more professional.
- They’re made for Australian businesses, so they look more professional.
- .com.au domains prove that you are from Australia, so It gives people in Australia confidence in purchasing from you because they know it’s an Australian company and that there are laws in place protecting them if something goes wrong with their purchase or service from you (if used correctly).
It’s easy to remember and people will trust you more if they see a .com.au domain name. It can help with SEO because Google loves Australian websites and will rank them higher than non-Australian sites. A .com.au domain is also easier to market yourself as an Australian business if you ever want to expand overseas, because it shows that you’re trustworthy and have done your research into what makes an Australian company successful.
How to get a .com.au domain
- Choose your desired domain name
- Make sure the name is available by visiting Registry and searching your desired name
- You can choose any available name, but it is best to choose one that linked to your business name if you want it easy to remember and find with a search engine like Google or Bing.
- Visit Registry Australia's domain registration portal to register your domain name quickly and easily. You will be required to provide some personal information and payment details, but this is all you need to do. Make sure you have a valid credit card ready before you start the process
Once you have paid for the domain name registration, it will be activated within 24 hours, and you can start using your new website address.
Can I register a .com.au domain without an ABN
You will need to have an ABN before registering your .com.au domain name with Registry Australia. The Australian Domain Authority (auDA) made it a requirement to link a .com.au domain to an ABN as they are reserved for Australian businesses only.
You can quickly and easily apply for both your domain and your ABN in one place on our Registry Australia website, so you don’t have to jump from website to website trying to get it all done at once! If you get stuck at any point, don't hesitate to give us a call on 1300 070 000.
What tools, software and assets do you need?
One of the most important things for a new business to think about is what tools, software, and assets you will need.
The answer to this question can be quite different depending on the type of business you are starting. For example, if you are planning on selling products online, then obviously your website is going to be an essential part of the business. On the other hand, if your product is something physical, then it might not be as important for your customers to see your brand name everywhere - but it’s still important for them to know who has created it.
So how do we decide which tools we need? The first thing we need to do is ask ourselves some questions: What does my business need to succeed? What software do I need for my website/app/product etc., work properly? What are some optional tools that could help me out later down the line but aren't essential right now?
Once you have an idea of what we need, you can start looking for the best option for each aspect of the business.
Need help getting started with your business?
We hope this article has been helpful in explaining how you can start a business in Australia. Starting your own business is an exciting journey, with many challenges along the way. We wish you the best of luck on your entrepreneurial journey! Give us a call or visit Registry Australia to get started with your business.